R&D ON THE PRODUCTION OF CLEAN CONVENTIONAL FUELS
- Production of reformulated fuels from conventional refinery processes (fluid catalytic cracking-FCC, Hydrocracking-HDC, Hydrodesulfurization-HDS, Isomerization, Alkylation, Reforming)
- Future of Catalytic Cracking
- Olefins production and maximization
- Refining catalyst poisoning and deactivation
- In-situ reduction of S in FCC gasoline
- Slurry technologies for heavy fuels upgrading
- Modeling of refining processes
- Mechanistic studies on fluid catalytic cracking using ZSM-5 catalysts
- Fuel aging studies
- Construction and operation of unique infrastructure (from micro- to pilot scale) for all refining processes.
- Technology development for deactivation and evaluation of FCC catalysts and FCC catalytic additives.
- Development of new catalysts for hydroisomerization of high molecular weight hydrocarbons (C6-C16).
- Development of a breakthrough technology (GASOLFINTM) for propylene production from naphtha streams in partnership with InovaCat company.
- Development of a FCC process model for optimization of commercial FCC units.
- Development of a new continuous slurry reactor technology for resid hydrocracking.
- Technology for co-processing fuels and biofuels in conventional refinery units.
- Development of advanced characterization techniques of heavy petroleum fractions (2DGC-TOFMS).
R&D on renewable fuels and chemicals
- Technology development for biomass flash thermal and catalytic pyrolysis in Fluid bed and Circulating Fluid Bed reactors (for both insitu and exsitu nodes)
- Valorization of lignin, plastics and other waste streams via catalytic pyrolysis
- Catalytic upgrading of low quality bio-based liquids (biooils, HtL oils, F-T waxes, vegetable oils) using refinery processes (Hydrotreating, Hydrocracking, FCC, Isomerization)
- Hydrodeoxygenation of vegetable oils and used cooking oild for green diesel production
- Production of high added value biochemicals (5-HMF, Diols, Isoprene, Glucaric acid, Phenols, aromatics etc.) from platform chemicals via chemocatalytic reactions
- Slow pyrolysis/torrefaction for production of activated carbon
- Development of analytical methods based on 2DGC-TOFMS for the advanced characterization of bio-based liquids
- New biomass pretreatment technologies (organosolv, steam explosion, combination of organosolv/explosion)
- CO2/CO catalytic hydrogenation to renewable fuels and chemicals via novel process concepts
- Chemical looping combustion for clean energy applications
- Biofuel aging studies
- Development of a circulated fluid bed pilot plant reactor for catalytic fast pyrolysis (CFP) of biomass to liquids of improved quality
- Production of bio-oil with less than 18wt% O2 at 23wt% organics yield using a new two stage pilot scale cascade process for biomass catalytic pyrolysis
- Co-processing of vegetable oils with gas oil on a pilot scale hydrotreating unit
- Successful co-processing of bio-oils in the FCC process on pilot scale
- Development of high performance Cu-based catalysts for CO hydrogenation to higher alcohols
- Continuous catalytic process of isomerization of glucose to fructose with novel catalyst
R&D on renewable fuels and chemicals
- NOx Removal from O2-Rich Streams in stationary and mobile applications – SCR with hydrocarbons (HC-SCR)
- Advanced DeSOx and DeNOx technologies for marine engines
- N2O abatement from stationary flue gases (O2-Rich Streams): N2O decomposition or SCR with hydrocarbons
- Catalytic abatement of CO and CH4 from incomplete combustion processes
- Simultaneous NOx reduction & CO oxidation in the flue gases of the FCC regenerator
- DeSOx catalytic systems for full and partial burn FCC regenerators
- Synthesis, production and commercial application of a new additive which significantly reduces the NOx from FCCU regenerator
- New noble metal (Rh or Pt) catalyst which exhibits significant NO reduction in the presence of SO2 for the HC-SCR NOx reduction from effluent gases of industrial plants
- Noble metal (Pt, Pd, Ir)/g-Al2O3 catalysts for the H2-assisted HC-SCR of NOx
- Fundamental understanding of the nature of active sites and mechanism of HC-SCR of N2O/NOx
R&D on New Catalytic Materials
- Novel synthesis routes for the preparation of advanced nanostructured catalytic materials
- Controlled templated sol-gel methods to tailor porosity and morphology
- Controlled deposition of active metals/oxides by applying advanced liquid chemistry and thermal processing for better dispersion and stability
- Advanced Flame Spray Pyrolysis (FSP) technology (in collaboration with University of Ioannina)
- Synthesis of mesoporous zeolites with varying pore shape and size with acid and base posttreatment.
- Synthesis of mesoporous aluminosilicates from zeolite seeds
- Utilization of natural Greek minerals for the production of nanosized catalysts via chemical and physical transformations
- Development of advanced FT-IR methods for quantification of Bronstend and Lewis acidity
- Highly selective Pt- and Ni-based isomerization catalysts supported on hybrid zeolitic and silicalite structures with fine-tuned metal/acid sites ratio
- Carbide and phosphide-based Mo and Ni catalysts for HDO and CO2 valorization routes
- A new reusable MgO catalyst derived from minerals for the isomerization of glucose to fructose
- FTIR/pyridine adsorption technique for in depth characterization of catalyst acidic properties